Skip to main content

Disaster Manual: Section 19 - Disaster Resource and Referral Guide

Disaster Relief

Address legal problems resulting from a disaster

This is the nineteenth section of the Disaster Manual. This section contains information on resources available to help disaster victims. This resource is meant for volunteer lawyers.This resource was written by Lone Star Legal Aid. 

Private community organizations or one or more local, state, or federal agencies can provide disaster assistance when a referral to an attorney is not the best course of action. In addition to providing emergency information, this guide lists resources, community service organizations, and government agencies with offices located in the areas where the people are being temporarily housed. It also includes the toll-free numbers for many state and federal agencies.

Download Resource & Referral Guide

Disaster Manual Table of Contents

Click each title to go to that section of the manual. - Index Page

  1. Introduction
  2. FEMA Assistance
  3. Falling Trees, Flying Limbs & Loud Neighbors
  4. Landlord/Tenant Issues
  5. Real and Personal Property
  6. Employer/Employee Issues
  7. Social Security, Banking, and Financial Issues
  8. Consumer Protection Issues
  9. Insurance Issues
  10. Health Care Issues
  11. Personal Bankruptcy Issues
  12. Replacing Lost Documents
  13. Family Law Issues
  14. Education
  15. Immigration Issues
  16. Community Organizations/Small Businesses
  17. Wills and Estates Planning
  18. Disability Rights in Disasters
  19. Resource & Referral Guide


19.1 General Assistance (Federal)


The White House, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) have created a website with resources related to COVID-19. There is information for everyone, including people who may think they are sick, travelers, pregnant women, children, and small businesses.

The federal COVID-19 Public Health Emergency declaration ended on May 11, 2023. As such, while reporting frequency and source data for some metrics will subside, the agency will continue to report valuable data to inform individual and community health actions to protect the nation’s health. The website below remains in operation with current details about COVID-19 health measures.

Disaster Assistance

The Disaster Assistance Improvement Program (DAIP) provides disaster survivors with information, support, services, and a means to access and apply for disaster assistance through joint data-sharing efforts between federal, tribal, state, local, and private sector partners.

The site allows individuals to:

  • Find disaster assistance that meets an individual’s particular circumstances
  • Apply for disaster assistance and reduce the number of required forms
  • Check the status of applications
  • Find a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center nearby
  • Find a hotel or a new place to live
  • Find programs to help with food and nutrition needs
  • Change address for Social Security, VA, or other federal benefits
  • Learn about Small Business Administration (SBA) loans for homeowners, renters, and businesses

FEMA Assistance

FEMA Helpline

Call 7 A.M. to 11 P.M. ET, 7 days a week:
1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362)
TTY 1-800-462-7585
711 or VRS 1-800-621-3362

Or write to:
P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

FEMA Internet Help Desk
Call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:

FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers
FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers (DRC) are accessible meeting places set up after a disaster. The services offered at each DRC may vary. There are two ways to find a DRC nearby:

  1. Use the DRC locator found at
  2. Text DRC and a Zip Code to 4FEMA (43362). Example: “DRC 01234.” Using this option does not add you to any messaging service.
Crisis Counseling

FEMA’s Crisis Counseling Assistance and Training Program (CCP) assists individuals and communities in recovering from natural and human-caused disasters through community-based outreach and access to mental health services.

Disaster Distress Helpline—1-800-985-5990 FEMA Helpline—1-800-621-3362 (TTY number: 1-800-846-8517).

For more information:

19.1 Emergency Housing (Federal)

General Search for open shelters near you by texting SHELTER and a Zip Code to 4FEMA (43362). Example: “SHELTER 01234.” Using this option does not add you to any messaging service.
FEMA Evacuee Hotels

FEMA has approved non-congregate sheltering assistance for some individuals and households impacted by earthquake activity in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Individuals and households eligible for this assistance will receive communication directly from FEMA officials explaining the process for accessing and checking into available lodging.

If you received damages as a result of the earthquake and have questions regarding FEMA assistance, please call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-3362; for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or with speech disabilities, the Teletypewriter number is 1-800-462-7585.

American Red Cross

You can find shelters by:

  • Visiting
  • Downloading the “Emergency Red Cross Mobile” app
  • Calling 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767)
Salvation Army

Enter your zip code at the top of the screen to find the nearest Salvation Army location:

19.1 Family Locators (Federal)

Safe and Well

The American Red Cross maintains a web-based system that helps reunite friends and family displaced by a disaster. For reunification requests call 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767).

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

The National Emergency Child Locator Center is operated by the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) and may be activated through a request to FEMA from a State, Tribe, or Territory during Presidentially-declared disasters. The primary mission is to assist with the reunification of children who have become separated from their parents or legal guardians.

Individuals reporting or searching for a child missing as a result of a disaster should call the NEMEC at 1-800-843-5678; it is staffed 24 hours a day.

Next of Kin Registry

The Next of Kin Registry (NOKR) is a FREE tool for daily emergencies and national disasters. NOKR is your emergency contact system to help if you or your family member is missing, injured, or deceased.

Other also offers other sources for locating family.

19.1 Finding and Caring for Pets (Federal)

Pet-Friendly Hotels

For a list of pet-friendly hotels, please visit:

Animal Assistance Organizations

Humane Society (HQ Washington, DC)
1-866-720-2676 (M-F 8:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M.)

Wings of Rescue
Wings of Rescue is a 501(c)3 charity founded in 2012 by Cindy Smith that flies endangered pets from high-intake and/or high-kill shelters to no-kill shelters, from which they have all been adopted into loving homes.


Best Friends Animal Society
General Information—1-435-644-2001

19.1 Legal Services Hotlines (Federal)

Disaster Legal Services Program

The purpose of Disaster Legal Services (DLS) is to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals who, prior to or as a result of the disaster, are unable to secure legal services adequate to meet their disaster-related needs.


Texas 1-800-504-7030 (Routed to legal aid providers in individual’s area)

*Hotline is available in English and Spanish

Advocates for Disaster Justice

The Advocates for Disaster Justice serves as a centralized national resource for legal aid, pro bono, and criminal defender attorneys across the country on legal issues related to all types of disasters.

State Bar Associations






19.1 International Evacuees (Federal)

General Consulate Information
Select Embassy Information in Houston, Texas


Costa Rica

El Salvador
1-888-301-1130 / 1-713-773-3539



1-346-201-6711 / 1-713-785-5931

1-713-271-6800 / 1-713-995-1227



1-713-850-1233 / 1-713-840-0096

19.1 Insurance Information (Federal) and COVID-19

All Marketplace plans cover treatment for pre-existing medical conditions and can’t terminate coverage due to a change in health status, including diagnosis or treatment of COVID-19.

You should check with your health insurance company for your specific benefits and coverage policy, regardless of who your provider is.

If you lost your job, experienced hours reduction or were furloughed, you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period and could be eligible for coverage through

If you can’t pay premiums because of COVID-related hardship, check with your insurance company about extending your premium payment deadline or ask if they will delay terminating your coverage if you can’t pay your premiums.

National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) The National Flood Insurance Program aims to reduce the impact of flooding on private and public structures. It does so by providing affordable insurance to property owners and by encouraging communities to adopt and enforce floodplain management regulations.
National Association of Insurance Commissioners 1-816-783-8500

19.1 Charitable Organizations (Recommended by FEMA) (Federal)

American Red Cross Disaster Donations Donate—1-800-435-7669
Red Cross of Houston 1-713-526-8300—2700 Southwest Freeway, Houston, TX
Catholic Charities in Houston-Galveston 1-713-526-4611—2900 Louisiana Street, Houston, TX
1-713-227-9981—326 South Jensen Drive, Houston, TX
Salvation Army Disaster Relief 1-713-752-0677—1500 Austin Street, Houston, TX

19.1 Federal Agencies and Resources (Federal)

U.S. Government’s Official Web Portal This web portal has links to many agencies and programs.
1-844-USA-GOV1 (1-844-872-4681)
Federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance (through the U.S. Department of Labor) The Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) program provides temporary benefits to people who, due to a major disaster, lost or had their employment or self-employment interrupted.
1-877-US2-JOBS (1-877-872-5627)
TTY number—1-877-889-5627
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission 1-800-669-4000
Hearing Impaired—1-800-669-6820
ASL Video Phone—1-844-234-5122 (include zip code and/or city and state so that your email will be sent to the appropriate office)
Social Security Administration 1-800-772-1213
TTY number—1-800-325-0778
United States Postal Service 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777)
TTY number—1-800-877-8339
USPS is reminding customers to complete change-of-address requests, especially if they expect to be out of their homes for extended periods.
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (Medicare)

1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
TTY number—1-877-486-2048

Veterans Affairs 1-800-698-2411
TTY number—7-1-1

VA Crisis Line (available 24/7)—1-800-273-8255 then press 1
Suicide and Crisis Lifeline—988
Department of Education 1-800-872-5327
TTY number—1-800-877 8339
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Fraud Line—1-800-347-3735
Fair Housing—1-800-669-9777
Fair Housing TTY number—1-800-877-8339
Ft. Worth Regional Office—1-817-978-5600
Houston Field Office—1-713-718-3199
San Antonio Field Office—1-210-475-6800
Internal Revenue Service 1-800-829-1040
TTY number—1-800-829-4059
Federal Citizen Information Center (f/k/a Federal Consumer Information Center) The U.S. Government Publishing Office Pueblo Distribution Center is a trusted one-stop source for answers to questions about consumer problems and government services. The website is where consumers can go to find information and order publications on a variety of topics from the federal government.
Questions Only—1-719-295-2675
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Report Crimes—1-866-347-2423
TTY number—1-802-872-6196
Detainee-Related Information—1-888-351-4024
Department of Homeland Security Main—1-202-282-8000
Small Business Administration (SBA)

The Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low-interest, long-term disaster loans to small businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners, and renters to repair or replace uninsured/underinsured disaster damaged property.

Loan amounts and terms are set by SBA and are based on each applicant’s financial condition.

Apply online at, in person at a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center, or by mail.
Call 1-800-659-2955 or email at
TTY number—1-800-877-8339

COVID-19 CARES Act of 2020 and SBA Coronavirus Relief Options

Following the outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19), the President signed into law the CARES Act, which contains $376 billion in relief for American workers and small businesses.

The CARES Act established several new temporary programs to address the COVID-19 outbreak and its effect on businesses. These programs include:

  • Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)
  • Shuttered Venue Operators Grant (SVOG)
SBA Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)

The PPP is a loan designed to provide incentive for small businesses to keep their workers on the payroll. The PPP ended on May 31, 2021, but existing borrowers may be eligible for PPP loan forgiveness.

SBA will forgive loans if all employees are kept on the payroll for 8 to 24 weeks following loan disbursement; if the money is used for payroll, rent, mortgage interest, or utilities; and if at least 60% of the money is used for payroll.

Apply for loan forgiveness through your PPP lender and complete SBA Form 3508, SBA Form 3508EZ, SBA Form 3508S, or a lender equivalent. You will also need to provide payroll information for all payroll periods that overlap with the covered period and all documentation related to expenses that occurred during the covered period.

SBA PPP webpage—

Shuttered Venue Operators Grant (SVOG)

The Shuttered Venue Operators Grant (SVOG) provides financial assistance to venue operators or promoters that faced financial hardship due to COVID-19. The business must have been in operation as of February 29, 2020. Entities that suffered the highest gross revenue loss between April 2020 and December 2020 will have the highest priority.

For eligible entities in operation as of January 1, 2019, grants will be either 45% of 2019 gross earned revenue or $10 million, whichever is less. For eligible entities that began operation after January 1, 2019, grants will be the average monthly gross earned revenue for each full month of operation in 2019 multiplied by six or $10 million, whichever is less.

For more information, visit—

Notice: SVOG is no longer accepting new applications. The SVOG portal remains open to all active applicants and awardees.



The CARES Act raised the small business bankruptcy debt ceiling to $7,500,000. Small businesses looking to file bankruptcy rely on Subchapter V of Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code. To qualify, total debts of a business previously had to be less than $2,725,625.

For more information, visit:

For businesses considering bankruptcy, please consult with an attorney (see “Legal Services” below).

19.1 Credit Bureaus (Federal)

Equifax 1-888-548-7878
Experian 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union 1-800-916-8800

19.2 General Assistance (Texas)

Texas Hurricane Center

Houston Emergency Updates
Call 3-1-1 or 1-713-884-3131

Road Conditions

Roadside Assistance 1-800-525-5555

19.2 Emergency Housing (Texas)

Texas Department of Housing & Community Affairs (search low-income housing by city or county)

Disaster Relief

Emergency & Homeless Services
(short-term rent help, eviction relief, and legal aid services) 1-800-525-0657

Fair Housing/Housing Discrimination

Home Modification for Accessibility

Home Repair Assistance

Homebuyer Assistance & Education

Loan Servicing

Manufactured Housing

Migrant Labor Housing

Reduced Rent Apartments

Rent Payment Help (Section 8)

Rent Payment Help
(eviction relief, legal aid)

Utility Bill Payment Help


Call weekdays 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.
TTY number—1-800-735-2989

19.2 Child Support Checks (Texas)

Texas Texas Attorney General

19.2 Unemployment Assistance (Texas)

Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) provides unemployment benefits for individuals who lost their jobs or self-employment or who are no longer working as a direct result of a major disaster or for which a disaster assistance period is declared, and who applied but are not eligible for regular unemployment benefits.

Texas Workforce Commission Tele-Center:
Call weekdays 8 A.M. to 6 P.M.

19.2 Insurance Information (Texas)

Texas Department of Insurance Texas Department of Insurance Consumer Help Line
Call 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.
Texas Windstorm Insurance Association Call weekdays 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.

19.2 Legal Services (Texas)

State Bar of Texas Phone: 1-512-427-1463
Fax: 1-800-204-2222
Legal Hotline—1-800-504-7030
Lawyer Referral—1-800-252-9690
Call weekdays 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
Houston Bar Association LegalLine is a hotline designed to help the people of Houston receive simple legal advice, answers, and referrals for free. All volunteers are Texas- licensed attorneys.

The Houston Bar Association is currently holding virtual LegalLine sessions on the first and third Wednesdays of each month. Use the following link to sign up for a session:
Lone Star Legal Aid Lone Star Legal Aid serves 72 counties in Texas and four in Arkansas, an area that covers one-third of the state of Texas, including almost 60,000 square miles from Texarkana to the Louisiana-Texas Gulf Coast state line, down to Matagorda Bay, and four counties in southwest Arkansas.

Disaster-related questions—1-866-659-0666

Houston Office—1-713-652-0077; 1-800-733-8394

Beaumont Office—1-409-835-4971; 1-800-365-1861

Galveston Office—1-409-763-0381; 1-800-551-3712
Texas RioGrande Legal Aid Servicing South, Central, and West Texas.

General—1-833-329-TRLA (8752)

Disaster-related questions—1-956-996-TRLA (8752)
Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas Eviction-related questions—1-855-548-8457
Disaster-related questions—1-817-339-5391

To apply, visit
Disability Rights Texas 1-800-252-9108
Sign Language Video Phone—1-866-362-2851
Aid to Victims of Domestic Abuse 1-713-224-9911
24-Hour National DV Hotline—1-800-799-7233
American Civil Liberties Union 1-713-942-8146

Austin Office—1-512-478-7300
Dallas Office—1-214-346-6575
El Paso Office—1-915-533-8091
Rio Grande Valley Office—1-956-338-1603
Family Violence Legal Hotline 1-800-374-HOPE (4673)

19.2 Real Estate and Housing re: Coronavirus (Texas)


Texas REALTORS has a FAQ page with information regarding leasing and property management. There are resources for residential renters and landlords.  

19.2 Legal Services (Bexar County) (Texas)

San Antonio Bar Association 

San Antonio Young Lawyers Association 



19.2 Legal Services (Travis County) (Texas)

Austin Bar Association 


Lawyer Referral Service of Central Texas


19.2 Texas Attorney General (Texas)

Main Agency Switchboard 


Consumer Complaints (e.g., price gouging)  1-800-621-0508
Public Information & Assistance (Constituent Affairs 1-800-252-8011 or 1-512-475-4413 (in Austin) 
Consumer protection hotline  1-800-621-0508 
Child Support (to apply for services)  1-800-252-8014 (automated information) or 1-512-460-6000 (Weekdays 8:30 A.M.—4:30 P.M.) 

19.2 Other State Agencies & Resources (Texas)

Texas Department of Assistive & Rehabilitative Services (helping with physical or mental disabilities in employment matters)


Division for Rehabilitative Services—1-254-770-5800  

Division for the Blind—1-254-753-1552 

Texas Department of Mental Health 

1-512-776-7111 / 1-888-963-7111 1-800-989-6884 (Texas Youth Hotline) 

Texas Department of State Health Services (including mental health) 

1-512-776-7111 / 1-888-963-7111 

Texas Department of Housing & Community Affairs 

1-512-475-3800 / 1-800-525-0657

Department of Licensing & Regulation 

1-512-463-6599 / 1-800-803-9202 

Department of Public Safety 

Austin Headquarters—1-512-424-2000  

DPS Driver License & Customer Service—1-512-424-2600 

Division of Worker’s Compensation 


Texas Department of Education 


Texas Health and Human Services— Aging  

Austin Headquarters—1-855-937-2372  

19.3 Alcoholics Anonymous

Houston Office 


Austin Office 


Dallas Office & Help Line 


San Antonio Office & Help Line 


Spanish Hotline—1-210-409-8524 

19.3 Immigration Services

Catholic Charities of the Archdioceses of Galveston-Houston 

1-713-595-4100 / 1-713-874-6750 (St. Frances Cabrini Center for Immigrant Legal Assistance) 

Central American Resource Center 


Casa Juan Diego 


Immigration Counseling Center 


19.3 Family, Women, and Youth Services

Family, Women, and Youth Services 


Association for the Advancement of Mexican Americans, Inc. (AAMA) 


Avance Family Support & Education Program (AAMA)


Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Houston 


Casa de Esperanza/Bilingual 


Community Family Center/Bilingual 


Child Advocates, Inc. 


Children Assessment Center, (The CAC) 


Children’s Protective Services—Harris County Protective Services for Children and Adults 


To report abuse or neglect—1-800-252-5400  

TRIAD Prevention Program—1-713-295-2600 

Covenant House 


DePelchin Children’s Center  


Toll Free Outside of Houston—1-888-730-2335


San Antonio—1-210-691-3222


Escape Family Resource Center 


Family Life Ministry 


Family Services of Greater Houston

Central Location—1-713-861-4849 

Family Time Crisis Hotline 


Jewish Community Center 


Jewish Family Service 


Justice for Children 



Learning Support Center at Texas Children’s Hospital 

Return Appointments—1-832-822-3700

New Patients—1-832-822-1900

Speech, Language, and Learning—1-832-822-3280

Aids to Victims of Domestic Abuse 


S.H.A.P.E. Community Center 

Harambee Administrative Office—1-713-521-0629  

Nia Becnel Family Center—1-713-521-0641 

University of Texas Psychiatric Services 


University of Houston-Parent Education Project 

Families Can Program—1-713-743-5491

University of Houston-Psychology Research & Services Center 


Texas Crime Victims Clearinghouse (Victim Services Division) 


Women’s Hospital of Texas Education Department 

Patient Education—1-281-438-4357 

Bay Area Turning Point 

24-Hour Hotline—1-281-286-2525 

The Bridge Over Troubled Waters 

24-Hour Emergency Hotline—1-713-473-2801  

Administration (Pasadena Office)—1-713-472-0753  

Administration (Baytown Office)—1-281-420-5600 

Women’s Center of Brazoria County

Administrative Office—1-979-849-9553  

24-Hour Hotline (Central & South County)—1-800-243-5788  

24-Hour Hotline (North County)—1-281-585-0902 

Fort Bend County Women’s Center 


24-Hour Hotline—1-281-342-4357

Houston Area Women’s Center 


Domestic Violence Hotline—1-713-528-2121  

Sexual Assault Hotline—1-713-528-7273 

Montgomery County Women’s Center 

24-Hour Hotline—1-936-441-7273

24-Hour Hotline (Spanish) —1-936-441-7273 Business—1-936-441-4044 

19.3 Senior Services

Alzheimer’s Association—Houston and Southeast Texas Chapter

Houston Chapter—1-713-314-1313

24-Hour Helpline—1-800-272-3900 


Dallas Office—1-866-227-7443 

American Cancer Society

Cancer Helpline—1-800-227-2345 

American Diabetes Association

Disaster Relief—1-800-342-2383

Central South Texas—1-713-977-7706 

American Heart Association 

Houston Office—1-832-918-4000

Customer Service—1-800-242-8721 

Houston/Harris County Area Agency on Aging

1-832-393-4301 / 1-800-213-8471


Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston 


Legal Hotline for Texans

1-800-622-2520, Option 3 

New Lifestyles—The Source for Senior Living 

1-800-869-9549 / 1-214-824-0022  

Visit for the contact number in your area. 

Salvation Army—Houston

Salvation Army Family Shelter  

Salvation Army Social Services 

1-713-752-0677 / 1-800-725-2769 

Senior Guidance Program of the Houston Junior Forum 


West University Place, City of Senior Services


19.4 Houston Area Helpful Numbers



Houston City Hall 


Houston Health Department 


Houston Housing Authority 


TTY (for the hearing impaired)—1-713-260-0547

Automobile Registration (Harris County) 


County Clerk (Harris County) 

Clerk’s Office—1-832-927-7230

Civil Courthouse—1-713-274-6390 

Child Support Customer Service Center


Harris County Department of Education 


Harris County District Clerk 


Harris County Information Center (Online Directory) 


Marriage License 

Personal Records Department—1-713-274-8686 

Probate Clerk’s Office  Visit to determine the appropriate probate court. 
Harris County Veterans Services Office 


Texas Department of State Health Services (including mental health) 

Toll Free—1-888-963-7111


Texas Department of Insurance 


Consumer Help Line—1-800-252-3439 

Texas Workforce Commission (Houston Office) 


Texas Department of Assistive & Rehabilitative Services (DARS)—now with Texas Health and Human Services Commission 


Texas Department of Insurance— Division of Worker’s Compensation 

1-800-252-7031, Option 1   

Texas Workers Compensation Health & Safety Hotline 

1-800-252-7031, Option 2 

Texas Veterans Commission 

Crisis Hotline—988, Press 1

Austin Headquarters—1-512-463-6564 

Workforce Solutions 
Federal Courts, Southern District of Texas 

Houston Division—1-713-250-5500

Municipal Courts  

Administration Department—1-713-247-5479 

Small Claims Courts Visit to determine the appropriate justice of the peace court. 
Jail Division Public Information Website 


Incarcerated Person Information—1-713-755-5300  

Information Line—1-346-286-1600  

Non-Emergency number (Harris County Sheriff) 


Jury Summons Information for Harris County 

1-713-221-6000 / 1-713-755-6392 (after 10 A.M.) 

Texas Department of Criminal Justice 


Visit to determine the appropriate division. 

Harris County Community Supervision & Corrections Department 


Traffic Ticket Info/Municipal Courts 


Ticket information—  

Traffic cases—  

Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas 


Better Business Bureau (Houston)


Texas Department of Insurance Consumer Help Line 


 National Association of the Remodeling Industry 


U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission/Bilingual 


19.4 Houston Area Emergency Crisis and Intervention Services

Crime Stoppers

1-713-222-TIPS (8477)

19.4 Houston Area Additional Assistance

Certified Public Accountant Referral (Houston CPA Society)


Chamber of Commerce, Greater Houston Partnership


City of Houston Check for updated information on storm clean up and dial 3-1-1 with questions.
Greater Houston Fair Housing Center—Bilingual Intake for housing discrimination matter


Harris County

Disaster Recovery Hotline—1-832-927-8301

Check for the latest information.

Harris County Medical Society


Houston Apartment Association


Houston Association of Realtors

HAR Central Office—1-713-629-1900
Legal Support Hotline—1-800-873-9155
SUPRA Support—1-877-699-6787
Matris MLS—1-877-805-7301

Univision, KXLN-TV Spanish News Station


Library Public Houston (General)

Central Library, Jesse H. Jones Building—1-832-393-1313

Harris County Law Library


Federal Public Defenders

Houston Office—1-713-718-4600

Copies of State & Federal Laws

Texas State Law Library:
1-512-463-1722 / 1-844-829-2843

Texas Legislature Online

Harris County Tax Assessor & Collector


Solid Waste Management Department

Solid Waste Management is responsible for storm debris collection in the city of Houston.

Or call 3-1-1 for debris drop-off locations and pick-up information. For instructions on separating your debris for removal, see:

19.5 Beaumont Area Helpful Numbers

American Red Cross (Beaumont Chapter)


Buckner Children & Family Services


Catholic Charities


Communities In Schools, Southeast Texas, Inc.


Family Services of Southeast Texas

Main Office—1-409-833-2668

24-Hour Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Hotline—1-409-832-7575 / 1-800-621-8882

Goodwill Industries of Southeast Texas, Inc.


Nutrition & Services for Seniors—Meals on Wheels of Jefferson and Hardin Counties


Some Other Place


The Salvation Army of Beaumont


United Way of Beaumont and North Jefferson County


Beaumont Convention & Visitors Bureau


SE Texas Food Bank


Blood and Plasma Research, Inc.


LifeShare Blood Centers

to donate—1-800-256-5433
donor hotline—1-800-259-7233

Related Articles

Related Forms

  • Disaster Manual

    The Disaster Manual can help volunteer attorneys address disaster-related legal questions.