"Once I knew only darkness and stillness ... my life was without past or future ... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living.”
– Helen Keller
What does the handbook cover?
Parents of children who have been diagnosed with a disability or special need are often confronted with unique and unfamiliar issues that result in many questions. You may have found yourself asking questions such as:
- What laws protect my child in school?
- What laws protect my child if he or she chooses to live on their own?
- What laws protect my child if he or she wants to work?
- How do I plan for my child’s future financially?
- How do I plan for my child’s future after I am gone?
- What benefits and resources will be available to my child when he or she turns 18?
- What resources are out there for parents of special needs children? “
"Peace of Mind: A Guide to Supporting Special Kids with Special Needs”, a publication of the Texas Young Lawyers Association, is intended to identify and generally explain the following unique issues that parents of children with special needs commonly face:
- The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Housing laws
- Disabilities laws and protection in the workplace
- Financial planning
- Estate planning
- Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid
- Resources for parents with special needs children
This handbook is meant to be a tool to help you find the resources needed to help with the challenges involved with raising a special needs or disabled child, while also planning for their future. We hope it can provide you with some peace of mind knowing that your child is protected and that there are laws that can help ensure your child's future is bright.
Please note that this handbook is intended solely to provide general information and is not a substitute for legal counsel. Any laws described in this handbook are subject to change at any time. If you have a specific legal question or problem, we strongly suggest that you consult an attorney.
Table of Contents
- THE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES EDUCATION ACT (IDEA)
- Page 1
- HOUSING LAWS
- Page 10
- DISABILITIES LAW AND PROTECTION IN THE WORKPLACE
- Page 15
- FINANCIAL PLANNING
- Page 25
- ESTATE PLANNING
- Page 34
- SUPPLEMENTAL SECURITY INCOME & MEDICAID
- Page 42
- RESOURCES FOR PARENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN
- Page 49
Click the LINK below for the FULL Handbook
This article tells you about various public benefit programs including food benefits, cash assistance, health, medical, disability, veteran, social...
This article tells you about Social Security Benefits, SSDI benefits, and SSI benefits. It lets you know about how you would qualify for these bene...
This article tells you about Social Security Disability Benefits. This article has information on how to apply, what to do if your disability benef...