Required Initial Disclosures in Custody and Support Suits (cases filed BEFORE September 1, 2023)

For all family law cases filed AFTER September 1, 2023: Required Initial Disclosures are no longer required. You must send discovery to the other party following the rules in Texas Family Code chapter 301.

In new Suits Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship, or Suits to Modify the Parent-Child Relationship, you must give the other party or parties certain information—whether they ask for it or not. This is part of the discovery process. This is required unless the parties agree otherwise, or the court lets you waive it. 

You can give them a hard copy of the information or electronic copies. Complete this form to give to the other party. Or, use this tool from Lone Star Legal Aid to help you fill out the initial disclosure forms.

Checklist Steps

In a required initial disclosure, certain information and documents must be exchanged no later than 30 days after an appearance—for example, an answer, counterpetition, or waiver of service—is filed. 

To calculate the deadline:

(1) find the day the answer was filed with the clerk,

(2) look at it on a calendar,

(3) count out 30 more days (including weekends and holidays).

You must give your materials to that party on or before this date.

The rules about how lawsuits work in Texas require you to exchange information and documents in a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship, but there are exceptions:

Also, parties can agree that they do not have to exchange the information, or they can ask the court to waive the requirement. Read Rule 11 Agreements to learn more about one way to waive the initial disclosures.

As part of the required disclosures under Texas Rules of Civil Procedure 194.2, you need to give the other party or parties the correct names and addresses of parties to the lawsuit—your name and contact information, including your mailing address and phone number, and contact information for anyone else involved.

List the full names and dates of birth of the children.

You also need to give the other side the names, phone numbers, and addresses of potential witnesses—that is, people with knowledge of relevant facts. If this case is contested, this list could include: family members, neighbors, teachers, doctors, counselors, employers, and financial advisors, among others.

Gather up documents related to insurance. This includes all statements or policies for each current life, casualty, liability, and health insurance policy.

If the case involves child support, you will also need information about all policies, statements, and the summary description of benefits for any medical and health insurance coverage that is or would be available for the child.


In a suit in which child support is at issue, you must, without being asked, give the other party:

  • your income tax returns for the previous two years or, if no return has been filed, your Form W-2, Form 1099, and Schedule K-1 for the past two years; and
  • your two most recent payroll check stubs. 

(Note that this doesn't apply in child support cases filed by or against the Texas Office of the Attorney General.)


Complete the Required Initial Disclosures - SAPCR or Modification form. Read it first. Print it out and fill out one for practice, if you need to.

You will need to fill it out completely, referring to the information that is outlined in this checklist. If you need help, use TexasLawHelp's Legal Help Directory to find a lawyer.

Finally, give the other parent or conservator:

(1) The completed Required Initial Disclosures in Dissolution of Marriage form, and

(2) The documents you have gathered. 

This must be done no later than 30 days after an answer, counterpetition, or waiver of service is filed, unless you have agreed otherwise.

Do not file the form and documents with the court.

Read Sending Initial Disclosures

Source URL: