Skip to main content

Jones County Justice of the Peace Court

Jones County

Learn the virtual court procedures, who you need to contact, and more about the Jones County Justice of the Peace Courts.

Guide Overview

Justice of the Peace (JP) Courts handle civil and criminal cases, including small claims (amount is $20,000 or less), justice court, and administrative hearings. These are lawsuits over debts, evictions, car accidents, unlawful towing, and property issues. Most JP’s perform marriage ceremonies as well. 

This guide contains information on the Jones County JP Court. 

Texas Law Help is working with courts around the state to provide you with accurate information. To help improve upon the information that is available, please leave any comments or recommendations in this Virtual Court Content Survey.   

Research Tips

Read our articles on Zoom and how to use it to prepare for your hearing. You should also read the following documents from the Jones County Court Clerk: 

Common questions about Jones County

The Jones County Justice of the Peace Court is in the Jones County Courthouse at: 

100 Courthouse Square, Anson, TX 79501 

You can read How to E-File to learn about E-Filing. 

Instructions & Forms

Judge Cheryl Guernsey 

100 Courthouse Square, Anson, TX 79501 
Phone: (325) 823-3761 

This information is current as of April 3, 2023. 

Checklist Steps

Is this court doing virtual hearings? What platform are they using? Are there any exceptions?
No N/A Contact the court for more information.

Possibly. Contact the court for more information on online payments. 

Contact the Jones County District Clerk for information on filing a case. 

Contact the court to schedule a hearing.  

Possibly. Depending on the complexity of the matter, type of hearing, and the situation, the court will use its discretion to permit virtual hearings. Contact the court to see if you can schedule a virtual hearing. 

Court staff will contact you after your hearing is set with instructions for the hearing, including how evidence is submitted and presented to the court. 

No. All jury trials are held in person only. Contact the court if you have any questions about virtual jury trials.

Possibly. Contact the court coordinator if you have concerns. 

If you have any questions concerning your case or court procedures, contact the District Clerk at (325) 823-3731 or by emailing or

Articles in this guide