hide my visit

What kind of Federal benefits am I eligible for with a T Visa?

Aside from authorization to remain in the U.S. for four years and a work permit, a T visa holder is also eligible for other federal programs. Once a trafficking victim is certified by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), they are eligible for the following benefits:

  • Access to private resettlement agencies that assure core services such as food, housing, clothing, medical care, and employment services are provided during the first 30-90 days after a T Visa is granted.
  • Public Assistance: Access to the Cash and Medical Assistance Program (CMA)’s subprograms such as the Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) and Refugee Medical Assistance (RMA). Applicants must apply for RCA and RMA within the first 8 months from the date they are granted their T Visas. Payment amounts and rules for RCA vary by state. Consult an attorney for more details, tailored information for your case, and how to apply for these benefits.

Most major cities provide federally funded and even state and private resources to trafficking survivors. Consult with your attorney for further information.

This relates to the following area(s) |