hide my visit

What happens if I am married to a US citizen but then we get divorced?

The impact of a divorce on your immigration status can vary. If you received permanent resident status (a green card) through marriage, that status is conditioned upon the marriage for the first two years. If your divorce occurred within those first two years, you will need to apply for a specific waiver in order to maintain your status independent of your spouse. Alternatively, if you are no longer in the two-year conditional period and have a green card that is valid for ten years, you do not need to apply for a waiver.

This relates to the following area(s) |