hide my visit

What can you do when you need to make decisions on behalf of a child, but have nothing in writing from the parent?

You can go to court to get an order giving you the temporary authority to care for a child. This kind of court order is only available if:

  • The child has lived with the person applying for (at least) the 30-day period right before the date the petition was filed; and
  • There is not already a written authorization agreement under Texas Family Code chapter 34 (or some other signed, written documentation from a parentconservator, or guardian that enables the person to provide necessary care for the child); and
  • The parentconservator, or guardian does not object to the petitioner (that is, the person trying to get the temporary authorization) having the authority to care for the child.

See Texas Family Code chapters 35.001 – 35.007.

This relates to the following area(s) |