(Medical Power of Attorney) I don’t want my current agent any longer. What can I do?
There are two ways to cancel or change the agent you chose:
- Revoke (cancel) the Medical Power of Attorney, or
- You can revoke your current choice at any time by telling either the agent or a licensed/certified health care provider.
- This can be done orally, in writing, or by any other act that shows you want to end the Medical Power of Attorney (such as ripping up the form in front of your agent).
- Complete a new Medical Power of Attorney.
- This is the preferred method of canceling an agent because your intent will be clear, and because you will have named a new agent.
- Completing a new Medical Power of Attorney will replace the one before it.
- Canceling a power of attorney will not revive the one before it. You must complete a new form to choose a new agent.