If my veterans' benefits claim was denied, how do I gather records?
- If your claim was previously denied, carefully review the VA denial letter. This letter may contain information on why your claim was denied.
- Request your personnel file using a SF180 if you believe the following exist (these would all be in your personnel file):
- In-service treatment of your disability (except in-patient records, which should be requested from the medical facility at which you were treated)
- Special orders that accommodate your disability
- Entry or exit medical exams that reflect your disability
- Records of service that is presumed to be connected to a disability, such as service in an Agent Orange area
- Records of exposure to environmental hazards, such as asbestos or loud noises.