hide my visit

I don’t have lawful immigration status. Should I avoid reporting crimes to the police, or assisting in police investigations?

No. The ultimate objective of state and local law enforcement agencies is to protect and serve the entire community. No matter your immigration status, if you are a victim of crime or have information about a crime, do not be afraid to speak out. Additionally,, if you are the direct or indirect victim a particularly serious crime, you may be eligible for a form of humanitarian relief known as a U visa, which is reserved for some victims of U.S. crimes who have reported those crimes to police. You must assist with the investigation and comply with reasonable requests from law enforcement in order to proceed with a U visa. As there are other requirements to this benefit, it is very important that you see an immigration attorney knowledgeable in this field. 

This relates to the following area(s) |