hide my visit

How do I become an LPR if I entered the U.S. improperly, or don't have an immediate relative applying for me?

Consular processing is how to apply to become an LPR if you entered the U.S. without permission, or are not the immediate relative of an LPR or citizen. You must return to your home country and apply for LPR status from there. However, you might not have to return to your home country if anyone filed a Form I-130 for you (or sometimes, for your spouse or your parents) before April 30, 2001, and/or if you have a parent, spouse, or child who is or was a member of the U.S. armed forces.

Certain crimes and immigration law violations can make you ineligible for adjustment of status or consular processing. Again, if you are in removal proceedings, and think you qualify for adjustment of status or consular processing, hire a lawyer or accredited representative to assist you.

This article overviews consular processing as a deportation defense.