hide my visit

How can I apply for a social security card as an immigrant?

All immigrants with authorization to work in the United States may apply for a social security number and card from their local Social Security Administration office. Undocumented immigrants without employment authorization are not eligible for social security numbers, but may still apply for a Taxpayer ID Number from the Internal Revenue Service, which they can use to file and track their federal income taxes.