hide my visit

Is flood damage to my home covered under my insurance policy?

Your homeowner’s insurance policy (sometimes called a “casualty insurance policy,” “hazard insurance policy,” or “fire and extended coverage policy”) normally does not cover flood damage. The policy may cover water damage inside the home from direct or blowing rainfall, but it normally does not cover damage from surface water or rising water. Windstorm insurance normally will be limited to greater-than-normal wind conditions, such as from a disaster. You should carefully read your policy, talk to your insurance agent, and consult an attorney if you have questions.

Flood insurance may be purchased from the federal government under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). You can buy policies from any state-licensed local agent if your community is participating in the NFIP. There is usually a 30-day grace period after purchasing flood coverage until it goes into effect. Visit http://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/272?id=1404 for information and Frequently Asked Questions.

This relates to the following area(s) |