hide my visit

Do I need to have legal status to file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and receive federal student aid?

Yes. Only people with certain statuses in the United States may receive FEDERAL financial aid for higher education. People eligible to receive federal student financial aid include:

  • U.S. citizens
  • Permanent residents (green card holders)
  • People that have an Arrival-Departure document (I-94) with these statuses:
    • Refugee
    • Asylum granted
    • Cuban-Haitian entrant (status pending)
    • Conditional entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
    • Parolee
    • Those with a battered or crime victim immigrant status (U visa and/or VAWA deferred action status) and their children
    • T visa holder

For more information check: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/eligibility/non-us-citizens