hide my visit

Is this child's name change case contested or uncontested?

TexasLawHelp.org has instructions for uncontested name changes of a child. Your case is uncontested if it can be finished by agreement or by default.

  • Your case can be finished by agreement if you and the other parties agree about all the issues and are all willing to sign the forms.
  • Your case can be finished by default (without the other parties) if they are served and do not file an answer or otherwise appear in court.

Your case is contested if another party files an answer or waiver of service, and will not sign the Order Changing a Child's Name. To finish a contested case, you must set your case for final hearing and give the other parties at least 45 days’ notice of the hearing. It’s important to talk with a lawyer if your case is contested.


This relates to the following area(s) |