hide my visit

Can I go to family or divorce court even if I am undocumented?

Yes, you have access to family court in Texas no matter what your immigration status, as long as you have lived in Texas for more than six months. For example, you may get a protective order, petition for divorce, or petition for custody of your children in family court. However, certain family decisions, like divorce, custody, and juvenile delinquency, may affect your immigration status. If you are going to family or divorce court, talk to an attorney before you appear in court.

This relates to the following area(s) |