Am I eligible to file for asylum?
The basic requirements to file for asylum include:
- You must be in the United States and you must have arrived less than one year ago unless certain exceptions apply. To see if an exception might apply, please consult with an immigration attorney.
- You have been persecuted in your native country or have a well-founded fear of future persecution.
- The persecution was based on one of the five protected grounds of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.
- The persecution was done by the government or by a person or group that the government is unable or unwilling to control.
- You are not barred from seeking asylum.