Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
How to File a Charge of Employment Discrimination
- In person
Each field office has its own procedures for appointments or walk-ins.
- By Telephone
EEOC does not take charges over the phone however, you can get the process started over the phone. Call 1 (800) 669-4000 to submit basic information about a possible charge.
- By Mail
You can file a charge by sending us a letter that includes the following information:
- Your name, address, and telephone number
- The name, address and telephone number of the employer (or employment agency or union) you want to file your charge against
- The number of employees employed there (if known)
- A short description of the events you believe were discriminatory (for example, you were fired, demoted, harassed)
- When the events took place
- Why you believe you were discriminated against (for example, because of your race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information)
- Your signature
Don't forget to sign your letter. If you don't sign it, we cannot investigate it.
Your letter will be reviewed and if more information is needed, we will contact you to gather that information or you may be sent a follow up questionnaire. At a later date, we will contact you and may put all of the information you sent us on an official EEOC charge form and ask you to sign it.