Tahirih Justice Center
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday: 9:00am - 5:30pm CST
If you live in the Houston or Galveston area, please call our Houston office at 713-496-0100 between 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. CST, Monday-Friday to arrange an intake appointment. We do not accept walk-ins.
Tahirih’s holistic, client-centered legal services include screening, assessment, counsel and advice, and/or full-scale legal representation. Our staff are experts in the areas of:
- Gender-based asylum (for individuals who have suffered or fear that they will suffer persecution in their home country)
- Violence Against Women’s Act Petitions (for battered spouses, parents, and/or children)
- T Visas (for survivors of trafficking)
- U Visas (for survivors of certain types of crimes on U.S. soil)
- Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (for abused, abandoned, or neglected children)
Our clients receive culturally sensitive, trauma-informed legal representation from the start to the finish of a case. Many of our clients have obstacles to safety and stability that can’t be remedied in immigration courts alone. We meet these needs by offering holistic services—providing wrap-around social services case management and representation in family court, where we are able.
Please call the Immigrant Rights Hotline Monday through Friday 9 p.m.-5 p.m. at 1-888-507-2970 for assistance understanding current immigration laws.
By providing social services to our clients, we help them stabilize their day-to-day lives and promote their safety and well-being as they pursue justice in the legal system.
During this period of uncertainty, our clients often need access to:
- Food pantries;
- Emergency shelters and housing;
- Medical services and medical debt forgiveness programs;
- Public benefits;
- Employment services;
- English and vocational classes; and
- Referrals for legal services that are outside our scope.
In addition to addressing our clients’ immediate physical needs, we also prioritize their mental and emotional well-being by providing regular:
- Safety planning;
- Supportive counseling; and
- Mental health screenings.
The Forced Marriage Initiative at Tahirih Justice Center is available to offer you support regardless of your age, race, class, gender, immigration status, nationality, sexual orientation, or religion.
We will discuss your rights and your options, guide you through steps you can take to keep safe, and help you to find resources in your area, including emergency shelter, legal services, counseling, and other forms of assistance. All of the information you share will be kept confidential.