Central Brazos Valley - Dispute Resolution Center
Hours of Operation
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Monday through Friday
From their website:
The Dispute Resolution Center / Central Brazos Valley, Inc. (DRC) is a private, non-profit, tax exempt 501 (c) (3) corporation established under the laws of Texas on September 13, 1996.
What is Mediation?
Mediation is a voluntary interactive process in which parties in a dispute meet in a confidential setting with a neutral person, the mediator, who facilitates communication among disputants in an effort to resolve disputes. Mediation focuses on planning the future, rather than concentrating on the past. Guilt and innocence are not decided.
What is our mission?
We exist to facilitate the peaceful resolution of conflicts.
Who are the Mediators?
Mediators are community volunteers trained in the mediation process. Mediators do not pass judgment or decide who's right or who's wrong. Mediators help disputants discuss issues and help them come up with their own solutions.
What situations are appropriate for Mediation?
- Neighborhood issues
- Divorce / custody / visitation issues
- Conflicts with family / friends
- Property disputes / damage
- Landlord / tenant issues
- Consumer / merchandise problems
- Employer / employee conflicts
- Business concerns
- Other problems
- Court-related cases
Why should I choose Mediation?
- It's QUICK (usually within a week).
- It's CONVENIENT (sessions available evenings and weekends).
- It's CONFIDENTIAL (mediation discussions cannot be used in court).
- It's VOLUNTARY (all parties must agree to mediate).
- It gives you CONTROL of the resolution and it WORKS! (you develop a win-win solution where no one loses).
How do I begin the Mediation process?
Call the DRC to speak with staff who will ask a few brief questions to identify the type of case.
Provide a brief summary of the dispute and persons involved.
If mediation is appropriate, DRC staff will schedule a time and contact other parties to participate if they choose.
The DRC will advise of any fees (Don't worry - they are reasonable).