Aid to Victims of Domestic Abuse (AVDA)
Computer use can be monitored. If you are worried that researching your options might endanger you, delete your history, and hide phone records of contacting legal aid.
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Intake Hours and Guidelines
You can apply for help from AVDA in a few ways.
- Intake Phone Number: 713-224-9911
- Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Walk-In Intake
- You can go to the office and apply for services in person.
- Monday–Friday from 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Evening and Saturday consultations are available by appointment.
AVDA understands the challenges that victims of abuse face. We provide help at no cost for:
- Legal representation for protective orders, divorce, child support and child custody
- Crisis intervention, advocacy, and support
- Safety planning and referrals
- Financial assistance for emergency shelter, food, transportation and more
- Individual and group counseling for the survivor and her/his children
- Funds for education and training
If you need legal advice or legal representation for a protective order, divorce, or child custody, AVDA’s legal team is here to help you. Your legal team will walk with you through the court process and help you with other supportive services. We also provide counseling and a variety of emergency assistance. Find out more about our counseling and legal services click here.
All legal advocacy and representation services are free for clients.
Protective order cases are accepted when there has been recent physical/sexual abuse, regardless of the income level of the client.
Divorce and other family law matters are primarily accepted for low to moderate income clients, but any case may be considered based on exceptional circumstances (e.g. extreme danger).
Cases are accepted for representation only within the Harris County and Fort Bend County court systems.
What if I have an emergency?
If you have an emergency involving domestic violence, please contact as soon as you are able to do so safely.
Make sure to let the intake worker know about any urgent deadlines. All conversations are confidential.