Skip to main content

What to Expect in Child Support Court (IV-D Court)

Child Support & Medical Support

This article explains what to expect if you are ordered to appear in a IV-D Court (also known as child support court).

This article should not be considered legal advice and doesn’t replace legal advice. It won’t explain every legal action that can happen in IV-D Court—just the most common ones. Every case is different, so each experience is different. Hopefully, this article can give you an idea of what might happen and what to expect.

What is IV-D Court?

The IV-D Court or child support court is a court where a judge can make a decision on many issues, primarily:

  • Whether a man is or isn’t the father of a child; and
  • Whether a parent should go to jail or face other penalties for not paying court-ordered child support, medical child support, or health insurance premiums.

For any of these legal actions to begin, documents such as a Suit to Determine Parentage or a Motion for Enforcement are filed with the court. The words “parentage” and “enforcement” will be in the titles of the documents filed.

The judge in a IV-D Court can also decide if:

  • There is evidence that a previous child support order should be modified to either lower or increase a child support payment;
  • There is evidence that a previous child support order should be modified to either lower or increase a health insurance payment or cost of medical child support; and
  • A possession and access order, with holidays and vacations included, needs to be established.

I have received a citation to appear in IV-D Court. What is this citation?

A citation is a court-issued command for you to appear before the judge in IV-D Court on a certain date and at a certain time. This is notice of a hearing. Don’t ignore it. Talk to a lawyer if you have questions.

What do I do when I arrive at the courthouse?

When you first arrive at the courthouse, ask security where the IV-D Court is located in the building. Be ready to remove your shoes, belts, chunky jewelry, watches, etc., so you can walk through a metal detector without the detector buzzing. You must place your cell phone, briefcase and other handheld items into a tray so it can be scanned by an X-ray machine.

Who do I check in with to let the IV-D Court know I am here?

Once you find the IV-D Court you are scheduled to be in, sign in with the clerk from the Office of the Attorney General (AG) or with the clerk assigned from your county’s Domestic Relations Office (DRO). This is how the court will know you are present in court for your hearing.

How long does checking in take?

Checking in may take some time, so get in line early. How long it takes to sign in depends on how many people are scheduled to appear in IV-D Court that day and what time you arrived at the court.

Can I bring a lawyer to represent me in IV-D court?

Bringing a lawyer to represent your interests in IV-D Court is a great idea, and you might also get your case worked on faster. Respondents with lawyers are usually seen first, no matter when they check in with the clerk. Tell the clerk you have a lawyer with you when you check in.

What happens after I check in with the clerk?

After you have checked in with the clerk, sit down. Wait for an Assistant Attorney General (AAG) or a lawyer from the Domestic Relations Office (DRO) in your county to call your name so you can meet with them to discuss the legal issue you are in court to resolve.

If you are represented by a lawyer, he or she will check in upon arrival. The AAG or the DRO will call out their name so they can meet and discuss the legal issue you are in court to resolve. Your attorney will speak on your behalf. You won't speak to the AAG or the DRO without your lawyer being present.

If you don’t have a lawyer to represent you, expect to wait several hours before your case is called. 

Can I bring my kids to the courthouse?

Don’t bring children to court with you. Most courts will not allow children in the courtroom and the court staff will not watch your children for you.

What if I show up in IV-D Court at the right date and time, but I want a lawyer, and haven’t had time to find one?

Talk to the AAG or the DRO officer about getting a continuance of the hearing to a later date so you can hire a lawyer to represent you. If the AAG or the DRO lawyer says “no” to the continuance request, tell the AAG or the DRO lawyer that you want to speak directly to the judge. The AAG or the DRO officer are lawyers. They are not judges. They cannot make decisions about the case. Only the judge can do that.

Don’t be afraid to speak to the judge. If you want to speak to a private attorney, most IV-D judges understand the respondent’s need for an attorney.

Also, you can ask the judge questions, but the judge cannot advise you. The judge can explain the law, but he or she will not give you advice or tell you what you should do. Remember, it is best to have a consultation with a lawyer before you go to IV-D/child support court.

If you do not understand what the AAG or the DRO has given you to sign, ask for a continuance from the judge so you can consult with a lawyer. Don’t feel pressured to sign documents you don’t understand. After you sign a document, you cannot use the excuse that you “did not understand what you were signing” to the judge to change an order.

Should I bring evidence to court of the insurance premiums I pay, either personally or through my employer, for the child?

If you are paying child support and have been paying for health insurance premiums for the child, bring evidence of that monthly payment to court. The payment can work as a credit and lower your child support by several dollars.

If you receive child support, bring evidence of the health insurance premium you pay for the child monthly so you can be reimbursed. This payment is the obligor’s responsibility. But it is your responsibility as the obligee to maintain the insurance.

See Child Support, Medical Support, & Dental Support.

What should I bring to child support court?

Checklist for IV-D Court

  • Federal Income Taxes for the past 2 years;
  • Pay stubs;
  • Evidence of a new job and its start date;
  • Evidence of health insurance premiums paid for the child;
  • Evidence of payment of child support to the obligee (canceled checks, money order receipts, etc.);
  • Evidence of extra payments for child support (canceled checks, money order receipts, etc.);
  • Evidence the children have been living with you and not the obligee;
  • Evidence that you and the obligee have been living together with the children—a lease, an electric bill, etc.;
  • Benefits award letter if you receive Social Security Supplemental Income;
  • Benefits award letter if you receive Veterans Compensation or Pension;
  • Evidence you are paying for, or can begin to pay for, health insurance for the child through your employer;
  • Any other evidence that can show you have provided financial support to the children;
  • Evidence that you have been seeking employment; or
  • Evidence you have filed for either Social Security or Veterans Benefits.

These are not the only items you should bring to the IV-D court. Always bring a form of identification. If you have other items that can prove your testimony to the court is true, bring them with you.

What if there is no evidence about the obligor's income?

If there is no evidence about a party's resources, the court will consider relevant background circumstances regarding the obligor (person ordered to pay child support), such as the obligor's:

(A)  assets;

(B)  residence;

(C)  employment;

(D)  earnings history;

(E)  job skills;

(F)  educational attainment;

(G)  literacy;

(H)  age;

 (I)  health;

 (J)  criminal history;

 (K)  barriers to employment; and

 (L)  record of seeking work. 

The court will also consider  job opportunities in the obligor's community;   the prevailing wage in the obligor's community; and whether there are employers willing to hire the obligor.

(Texas Family Code 154.0655(c), effective September 1, 2021).

What if I don't want to go before a IV-D judge alone?

If, after reading this article, you decide you don’t want to go to before a IV-D judge alone, there are resources available to help you find a lawyer. The State Bar of Texas website has a “find a lawyer” section, plus a Lawyer Referral and Information Service. Your county might have a lawyer referral service. You can find that information on the internet or in a phone book. 

Related Guides

  • I need to respond to a custody case (SAPCR).

    Child Custody & Visitation

    How to quickly respond to a custody case when it is part of a 'Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship' (SAPCR).
  • I need to respond to a modification case.

    Child Custody & Visitation

    This guide explains your options if your child’s other parent (or someone else) has filed a modification case to change an existing custody, visita...
  • I need a custody order. I am the child's parent (SAPCR).

    Child Custody & Visitation

    This guide tells you how to ask for a custody, visitation, child support, medical support, and dental support order.
  • I need a divorce. We have children under 18.


    How to get a divorce when you and your spouse have children younger than 18 (or still in high school).
  • Related Articles

    Related Forms

  • Low-Income Child Support Guidelines Handout


    Tables explaining child support guidelines when the obligor has less than $1,000/month in net resources.