Minors and Marriage
A person under age 18 years cannot marry unless they have been emancipated, a process also known as having the disabilities of minority removed for general purposes.
This requirement was effective as of September 1, 2017. Read more about legal emancipation in Texas here.
A person under 18 years of age applying for a marriage license must:
- Appear before the county clerk;
- Submit proof of identity and age;
- Provide the information required in the application for a marriage license;
- Provide the clerk with a certified copy of the court order removing the disabilities of minority of the person for general purposes; and
- Take the oath printed on the application for a marriage license and sign the application before the county clerk.