Texas law used to allow people under the age of 18 to get married. Currently, only legally emancipated minors may marry. Learn more here.
What are the requirements for marrying when one or both parties is under the age of 18?
What does someone under 18 need to apply for a marriage license?
A person under 18 years of age applying for a marriage license must:
- Appear before the county clerk,
- Submit proof of identity and age,
- Provide the information required in the application for a marriage license,
- Provide the clerk with a certified copy of the court order removing the disabilities of minority of the person for general purposes, and
- Take the oath printed on the application for a marriage license and sign the application before the county clerk.
This article answers frequently answered questions about legal emancipation in Texas.
This article explains the requirements for annulling a marriage.
This article explains the rights of pregnant and parenting minors in Texas to make health care decisions.