Immigrant Rights: Know Your Rights
You have certain rights regardless of your immigration status. It is important to know your rights so that you are prepared for any situation. Understanding your rights and how to use them will help you fight for yourself and know how to respond if you are in a situation with police or Immigration.
If you need help, please use our Legal Help Finder to search for legal help in your area.
Stay calm. You are normally not required to open the door to anyone. Immigration and police cannot come into your home without a warrant signed by a judge.
The links below have important information on what to do if Immigration or the police show up at your home. Read the information so that you know your rights and are prepared if this happens to you.
- Know Your Rights: What to do if Immigration or the Police Come to Your Door
- Prepare Yourself: If Immigration Agents Come to your Home
- Police or ICE are at my home
- Your rights at home and what is a warrant
- Know Your Rights: If ICE Visits Your Home
- Video: We Have Rights When ICE is Outside Our Doors
- Video (Spanish): Las comadres si saben: no abra la puerta!