Skip to main content

Food Benefits after Disaster

Disaster Relief

This article can tell you about getting access to food benefits after a disaster.

This article was written by Texas RioGrande Legal Aid. 

Useful Websites

FEMA 800.621.3362 (emergency assistance)

State Bar of Texas 800.504.7030 (referrals)

Texas RioGrande Legal Aid 866.757.1570 (legal help)

Legal Self-Help Tool for Disaster Survivors

D-SNAP Approved for Harvey

People in areas affected by Hurricane Harvey can apply for food benefits through the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP). Like regular SNAP (formerly food stamps) it helps individuals and families to buy food and groceries, but offers faster access and additional food assistance following a disaster.

  • D-SNAP benefits are issued within 72 hours,
  • D-SNAP is available to households not normally eligible for SNAP a result of their disaster related expenses, including lost income, property damage, expenses due to relocation, and loss of food due to power outages.
  • Eligible households receive one month of benefits equal to the maximum amount thye would normaly receive under SNAP.
  • Like regular SNAP, D-SNAP benefits are issued through the Lone Star card that can be used to purchase food at most grocery stores.
  • Under D-SNAP, ongoing SNAP clients can also receive disaster food assistance. 

To apply: Call 877-541-7905, dial 2-1-1, or visit Your Texas Benefits.

Free meals for all students in HISD.

All students in the Houston Independent School District will be eligible for three free meals a day during the 2017-18 school year without the need to apply.

SNAP for Hot Food

Through Sept. 30, 2017, all SNAP program recipients can use the Lone Star card to buy hot food (such as rotisserie chicken) and other prepared foods from the deli section of stores that accept the Lone Star Card.


Households with disaster losses whose SNAP benefits are less than the monthly maximum can request a supplement (S-SNAP). The supplement brings their benefits up to the maximum SNAP benefit allowed for their household size. This is to equalize D-SNAP households with SNAP households receiving disaster assistance.

Lost Cards

If you lost your Lone Star Card because of Hurricane Harvey, find the closest open office by calling 2-1-1 and select option 2, or call the Lone Star Help Desk 800-777-7328 to have one mailed to you.

Food and WIC Replacement

If you lost food you bought with SNAP because of Hurricane Harvey, you can have them replaced. Call 2-1-1 to find the nearest open office and complete Form H1855, Affidavit for Nonreceipt or Destroyed Food Stamp Benefits. Renew SNAP food benefits at Your Texas Benefits or call 2-1-1 and select option 2. For WIC replacement benefits, call 2-1-1 or 800-942-3678, or go to

Medicaid Clients

If you forgot or lost your medication, you can get it replaced if your pharmacist approves. If you are on dialysis and need help finding a provider, call 866.407.ESRD for help.

Related Forms

  • Legal Self-Help Tool for Disaster Survivors

    Help with disaster-related housing, debt, custody, medical needs, and child custody.