Skip to main content

Crime Victims' Compensation: How to Apply

Protection from Violence or Abuse

This article tells the ways to apply for compensation if you are a victim of a crime. Specifically, it provides the application and more. This article was written by the Office of the Attorney General.

How to Apply

If you are a victim of violent crime in Texas, report the crime to the local law enforcement agency and ask for information about the Crime Victims' Compensation program. Most police and sheriff's departments will have a crime victiim liaison who can explain the program, provide you with an application and help you fill it out.

Applications for Crime Victims' Compensation are also available from prosecutors' offices, as well as some hospitals and medical centers.

Victims of sexual assault who have had a medical sexual assault forensic examination conducted at a hospital on or after September 1, 2015, and incurred costs for emergency medical care associated with the medical sexual assault forensic examination should complete the Application for Emergency Medical Care. This application gives the victim the option to only seek reimbursement for the costs for that emergency medical care.

You can get an application directly from the Crime Victims' Compensation Program in the Office of the Attorney General by calling 1-800-983-9933, or you can download the application, fill it out and mail it in.

Please read the information on eligibility and reimbursable expenses carefully before filling out the Crime Victims' Compensation Application.

Adobe PDF file (143k)
(Note: You are entitled to review, and if necessary correct, any information this agency has on file about you.)

Read more about the application review and more on applying for Crime Victims' Compensation at texas