Texas Free Legal Forms, Law, Pro Bono Help Finder, and Resources

Who Should Treat My Injuries After an Auto Accident?

Authored By: Houston Personal Injury Attorney Stewart J. Guss


All of us have either been in an auto accident or know someone who has. It’s a scary and terrible thing. In addition to the trauma of the initial event, we are often left inconvenienced for weeks or months with issues involving having the car repaired, dealing with injuries, missing work and other issues. There are many issues that need to be addressed, but the most important of these (in my opinion) is your health. A good personal injury lawyer will be able to help with the legal issues associated with your accident. Your top consideration of course, is your health, and the treatment you seek for your injuries.

Everyone who has been in a car wreck involving even a moderate amount of force should be checked out by a doctor for potential injuries. If you are in significant pain or have any serious symptoms, I would further suggest that you seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY, either via ambulance or private transport to an emergency room. We only have one body in this life, so we really need to make sure we take care of it.

It is not uncommon for someone to feel they were okay at the time of a collision, but then over several hours they start to develop trauma induced symptoms such as headache, neck pain and back pain. Given the shock and trauma of a car crash, we often don’t notice these things until after things settle down. I’ve heard of many instances where people thought they were okay, went to sleep, and were in so much pain the next morning they couldn’t even get out of bed!

After your initial treatment at an emergency room, it is important to pick the right care provider with whom to follow up for further treatment of your injuries. As with many other medical conditions, after you are in an automobile accident, you should try and seek treatment with a medical provider who specializes in this area. Most chiropractic clinics are extremely well equipped to deal with the types of injuries normally sustained in an automobile accident. While chiropractors do not have prescriptive authority, they often work with medical doctors who can write prescriptions for pain killers, muscle relaxants, or other pharmaceuticals as needed.

If you have been diagnosed with a broken bone, you want to make sure that you follow up as needed with an orthopedic doctor to insure that your fracture heals properly. Some types of fractures may need surgical correction, and it is important to find an orthopedic surgeon with skill and experience in treating these types of traumatically induced fractures.

Remember, your auto accident lawyer can help you with the legal and insurance issues, but you must make sure you seek help from the right medical practitioners to take care of your injuries.