Amending Birth Certificate Based on Paternity

Authored By: Texas Department of State Health Services
Information Birth Certificate Amendments


Sometimes birth certificates are filed with the bureau of vital statistics but do not list the name of the child's biological father. This may mean that the wrong name is listed, paternity was mistaken or there is no name listed at all. In order to add or change the father's name on a birth certificate you must follow specific steps based on your situation. The required steps are different depending on whether you are adding or changing a name on the certificate. Be prepared to read the instructions very carefully and gather all of the required paperwork before submitting your request.

Click the link below for more instructions and forms from the Bureau of Vital Statistics.

Birth Certificate Amendments :

Last Review and Update: Jun 12, 2015