Mistaken Paternity

If you mistakenly signed an Acknowledgment or Denial of Paternity or didn’t contest paternity in court you may be able to:

  • rescind or challenge the Acknowledgement or Denial of Paternity or
  • terminate the parent-child relationship between you and the child based on genetic testing that proves you’re not the father.

However, you must meet strict requirements under the law.

Information Not Legal Advice:
The information provided on this website is not a substitute for the help and advice of a lawyer. Paternity law can be complicated. If you decide to represent yourself, try to talk to a lawyer about your case before filing anything. A lawyer can explain how the law applies to you and what is best in your particular situation. Your rights as a parent may be at stake.

Lawyers to Help You Help Yourself:
There are lawyers who will help you help yourself. This means that you can hire the lawyer just to give you advice, review forms, draft documents or help you prepare for a hearing. You may then be able to complete other parts of your case yourself. This is called Limited Scope Representation.

Finding a Lawyer:
For help finding a lawyer, contact your local lawyer referral service or the Lawyer Referral Information Service at www.TexasBar.com or 1-800-252-9690. To find the nearest Legal Aid office, go to www.TexasLawHelp.org and click on “Find Legal Assistance.”

Help for Victims of Domestic Violence:
If you or your child is a victim of domestic violence call the Family Violence Legal Line at 1-800-374-HOPE (4873) for help.


Last Review and Update: Feb 18, 2014