Military Service and Immigration

Authored By: USCIS; American Bar Association
Information Click the link for more information on this from the American Bar Association



Content Below Excerpted from the Linked USCIS Resource:

Members of the U.S. armed forces and their dependents (spouses and children) may be eligible for citizenship, to include expedited and overseas processing, under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

If you are a U.S. armed forces member seeking to petition for your family member for permanent residence (green card), see the "Family" page.

Citizenship for Military Members

Members of the U.S. armed forces may be eligible for citizenship by qualifying for naturalization through military service under Section 328 or 329 of the INA. For more information, see the"Citizenship for Military Members" page.

Citizenship for Spouses & Children of Military Members

Spouses of U.S. citizen members of the U.S. armed forces who are (or will be) deployed may be eligible for expedited naturalization or for overseas processing. Children of U.S. citizen military members deployed abroad may be eligible for overseas processing.


For more information, see the "Citizenship for Spouses and Children of Military Members" page. For information on benefits for surviving spouses or children, see the "Family Based Survivor Benefits" page.

Click the link for more information on this from the American Bar Association:

Last Review and Update: Jan 18, 2016