Income Withholding for Support

An Income Withholding for Support Order (IWO) orders an employer to withhold child support and/or spousal support/maintenance from an employee’s paycheck. An IWO is always based on a separate order to a parent or spouse/ex-spouse to pay support – usually as part of a divorce, paternity case, or suit affecting the parent-child relationship (SAPCR).

The Income Withholding for Support Order (IWO) form approved by the federal Office of Management and Budget (OMB) must now be usedin all cases in which child support or spousal support/maintenance is ordered withheld from an employee’s paycheck. No other IWO form can be used.

Click here for fillable version of the required IWO form (with Texas options prefilled)

Click here for Simplified IWO Instructions

Click here for Sample IWO

Basic Instructions: Read the Simplified IWO Instructions and Sample IWO. Fill out the required IWO form. If possible, hire an attorney to review your completed form. Take the completed IWO form to the Judge who signed, or will sign, your child support order or spousal support/spousal maintenance order. Ask the Judge to sign your IWO. File your IWO in the District Clerk’s Office. Ask the clerk to send your IWO to the employer of the person ordered to pay support.

Note: If the employee/obligor changes jobs, you must have the IWO sent the new employer. If the support amount ordered withheld changes, you must have an amended IWO sent to the employer.

Click on the TexasLawHelp.org chat feature if you need help finding additional information.

IMPORTANT: This basic information is not a substitute for the help and advice of an attorney. It’s always best to talk with an attorney about how best to proceed in your particular case. There are attorneys who will help you help yourself. This means that you can hire the attorney just to give you advice, draft documents, review your forms, or help you prepare for a hearing. This is called Limited Scope Representation. You may then be able to complete other parts of your case yourself. For help finding an attorney, contact your local lawyer referral service or the Lawyer Referral Information Service at http://www.texasbar.com/ or 1(800) 252-9690. You may also be able to find help through Legal Aid. To find the Legal Aid office nearest you, go to http://www.texaslawhelp.org/ and click on “Find Legal Assistance.”