Finding Out Who Owns the Property

Authored By: Texas RioGrande Legal Aid
Read this in:
Spanish / Español


As a tenant, you have the right to know the name and address of the owner of the premises. You also have the right to know the name and street address of any property management company that is managing your house or apartment. The landlord may satisfy the duty of disclosure by providing you with a written copy of the information, by having the information posted continuously in a conspicuous place in the apartment complex or resident manager's office, or by having the information included in your copy of the written lease agreement or house rules.

If you want to know the name and address of the owner and property management company for your apartment or house, you should first see if the information is in your lease or posted in the office. If it is not, then request the information from the manager. Your notice need not be in writing unless your written lease agreement requires it, but it is always better to put the request in writing and keep a copy for your records. If the landlord fails to provide the information you requested in one week, you should give another written notice that if the information is not furnished to you within seven more days, you may exercise the remedies provided by the Texas Property Code.

If you were current on your rent when you gave the notices and the landlord has not complied with your second notice after seven days (or intentionally gave you incorrect information), you may sue the landlord for a court order that: (1) requires the landlord to disclose the information; (2) awards to you your actual costs incurred in discovering the information; (3) imposes a penalty against the landlord in the amount of one month's rent plus $100; and (4) awards you attorney's fees and court costs. You may also terminate the lease agreement without court proceedings. You may also sue your landlord if your landlord furnished an incorrect name or address of the owner or property management company by willfully posting or stating wrong information, or by willfully failing to correct information known by the landlord to be incorrect. You may sue your landlord under these circumstances even if your rent is past due.

Last Review and Update: Mar 09, 2011