Disaster Survivor Information: Answers To Insurance Questions

Authored By: Texas RioGrande Legal Aid
Information Download



What Kinds of Losses from Disasters could be covered by Insurance?

Your right to recover will depend on what kinds of losses you have suffered, which types of insurance policies you have, and what those policies state. Make sure you keep all your receipts for repairs and replacements!

What Does Insurance Cover?

Generally, homeowners, renters, and condominium insurance policies cover losses resulting from fire, smoke, soot, wind, theft, riots, vandalism, and water (including water and slurry used by firefighters). A homeowner's policy covers wind-blown rain damage. Flood insurance is a separate policy. Comprehensive car insurance ordinarily covers physical damage to the insured vehicle (either cost of repairs or fair market value of the vehicle). Many policies also provide coverage for additional living expenses (including hotel stays and meals), if you are forced to leave your home due to disaster damage or evacuation by civil authorities.


Please click the link below for the FULL publication for information on:

  • Who Do YOU Contact to Make A Claim?
  • Should I Make Repairs To My Home or Vehcile?
  • How Do I Prove My Losses?
  • Should I Get An Indepdent Adjuster?
  • When Will the Insurance Company Pay Me?
  • What if My Claim Is Denied?
  • If I have Insurance Can I Also File A FEMA Claim?


Last Review and Update: Jun 18, 2015