Child Custody in Texas - Fact Sheet

Authored By: Texas RioGrande Legal Aid
Read this in:
Spanish / Español
Vietnamese / Tiếng Việt
Chinese / 中文
Information Download - WORD Download - PDF Information


Child Custody in Texas

What does it mean to have custody of a child?  

Custody and conservatorship describe your relationship with a child when there is a court order.  Examples of court orders which involve custody:

·         Order in Suit Affecting Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR)

·         Paternity  Establishment Order

·         Divorce Decree (if the divorce includes children)

·         Emergency Order involving the Department of Family and Protective Service (“CPS”)

What is Joint Custody? 

Most custody orders name the parents Joint Managing Conservators (JMCs).  A court will order JMC unless there is a good reason not to (such as domestic abuse). A JMC order normally requires that the parents share decision making about child’s education, medical treatment and similar issues. A JMC does not mean the child’s time is split equally between the parents. 

In most custody orders, one parent has the right to determine the child’s primary physical residence. The parent with the right to decide where the child lives is usually the person with whom the child lives more than half of the time and who has the right to receive child support on behalf of the child. This parent is sometimes called the custodial parent, managing conservator, or primary conservator. The other parent, the parent responsible for paying child support, is sometimes called the non-custodial parent or possessory conservator. Custody orders are sometimes split between several people. For example, a grandparent can be the primary conservator and both parents can be named possessory conservators. Both parents can be ordered to pay child support to the grandparent.


What is a Standard Possession Order?   

Most custody orders include a Standard Possession Order (SPO) that sets the schedule for each parent’s time with the child.  Custody orders refer to parenting time as access and possession, which is the same as visitation.  Terms of the basic SPO allow the noncustodial parent to have possession of the child a couple of hours every Thursday nights; on the first, third and fifth weekends of each month; on alternating holidays, and at least one month in the summer.  The SPO tells the parents where the exchanges of the child will take place, where the child will spend the holidays,  and has special rules for when the parents live more than 100 miles apart. The court does not have to follow the SPO if a child is under three years old or if the SPO is not in the best interest of the child.  NOTE: Parents with an SPO can agree to any schedule that works for both of themIf they can’t agree, then they must follow the SPO.

What is Sole Custody?

When there is a good reason to do so (as in cases involving domestic violence or child abuse), a court can name one parent as a Sole Managing Conservator (SMC).  An SMC order can limit or even take away the noncustodial parent’s access to the child and right to make decisions about the child. The court can order supervised visitation, order the parents to undergo drug testing or make any order to protect the child.

What if I don’t have a custody order?  

 Legal custody can only be created by a court order, not a power of attorney (POA) or other document. Without a court order, there is nothing for a court to enforce. Each parent is free to take the child from the other at any time.

Does a Power of Attorney give legal custody?

No.  Legal custody requires a court order.  A Power of Attorney (POA) can permit a nonparent to care for a child, but the parent can revoke the POA at any time and take the child back.  If the child has lived with another person for more than 6 months, that person can bring a lawsuit against the parents for custody of the child, including child support.


Authored by Texas RioGrande Legal Aid© TRLA 2013  

Download - WORD

Download - PDF

Last Review and Update: Sep 25, 2014