Cash Rental Payments

Authored By: Texas RioGrande Legal Aid
Read this in:
Spanish / Español


If you pay your landlord with cash, your landlord must provide you with a written receipt, and the landlord must also enter the payment date and amount into a record book maintained by the landlord. If the landlord fails to do either of these things, you may sue the landlord to make him comply with the law, and you can recover court costs, reasonable attorneys fees, in addition to $500 (or one month's rent, whichever is greater) for each violation by the landlord. You have two years from the date of a violation by your landlord to file such a lawsuit.

Last Review and Update: Jul 13, 2010