Legal Aid of Northwest Texas
Who We Are
Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas is a nonprofit organization that provides free civil legal services to low income residents in 114 Texas counties throughout North and West Texas, with offices in Abilene, Amarillo, Brownwood, Dallas, Denton, Fort Worth, Lubbock, McKinney, Midland, Odessa, Plainview, San Angelo, Waxahachie, Weatherford and Wichita Falls.
How to Get Help
You can apply for help from Legal Aid of Northwest Texas in 1 of 2 ways:
1. Apply directly through the branch office that serves your area. you must schedule an appointment first
- You may contact the local branch office to schedule an in person or telephone appointment.
- In certain situations; arrangements can be made for our staff to come to your home.
- You can attend a free legal clinic (the office may refer you to a clinic if appropriate); or
2. You can apply over the telephone via our centralized intake telephone line.
Steps to Apply
All applicants should follow these steps to apply
Please decide whether it makes sense for you to apply by reading our eligibility guidelines.
These guidelines may help you to decide if you qualify for free legal help.
If you aren't sure whether you qualify, you can still apply.
Use our ZIP code search tool or check the service area map and find out how and when your local LANWT office takes applications (intake).
3. Urgent Matters
Check to see if you qualify for an "Urgent Matter" intake. If your situation meets certain conditions, you might be able to apply right away.
4. Application Form
Print a copy and fill it out before you come to the office or before you call us. It helps to speed up the application process and ensures you'll have all the needed information with you.
5. Before Applying
We want you to get the most out of your Legal Aid experience. This simple list provides tips for doing just that.
6. Contact Us