Legal Aid of Northwest Texas LSC Funded

Who We Are

Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas is a nonprofit organization that provides free civil legal services to low income residents in 114 Texas counties throughout North and West Texas, with offices in Abilene, Amarillo, Brownwood, Dallas, Denton, Fort Worth, Lubbock, McKinney, Midland, Odessa, Plainview, San Angelo, Waxahachie, Weatherford and Wichita Falls.


How to Get Help


You can apply  for help from Legal Aid of Northwest Texas in 1 of 2 ways:


1. Apply directly through the branch office that serves your area. you must schedule an appointment first


  • You may contact the local branch office to schedule an in person or telephone appointment.
  • In certain situations; arrangements can be made for our staff to come to your home.
  • You can attend a free legal clinic (the office may refer you to a clinic if appropriate); or


2. You can apply over the telephone via our centralized intake telephone line.


Steps to Apply

All applicants should follow these steps to apply

1. Eligibility

Please decide whether it makes sense for you to apply by reading our eligibility guidelines.
These guidelines may help you to decide if you qualify for free legal help.

If you aren't sure whether you qualify, you can still apply.


2. Location

Use our ZIP code search tool or check the service area map and find out how and when your local LANWT office takes applications (intake).


3. Urgent Matters

Check to see if you qualify for an "Urgent Matter" intake. If your situation meets certain conditions, you might be able to apply right away.


4. Application Form

Print a copy and fill it out before you come to the office or before you call us. It helps to speed up the application process and ensures you'll have all the needed information with you.


5. Before Applying

We want you to get the most out of your Legal Aid experience. This simple list provides tips for doing just that.


6. Contact Us

Please follow the instructions listed on the office page for your location. Or, if you live outside of Dallas or Tarrant County, you can call the Legal Aid Line.



How to Get Help

You can contact this organization by:

Contact Type

Contact Type

Contact Type

Contact Type

Contact Type
Legal Clinic

Contact Type
Phone Number
9:00 AM to 12:00 PM 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
9:00 AM to 12:00 PM 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
9:00 AM to 12:00 PM 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
9:00 AM to 12:00 PM 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
9:00 AM to 12:00 PM 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM

Intake is closed on Holidays.

Who We Serve

  • Andrews County
  • Archer County
  • Armstrong County
  • Bailey County
  • Baylor County
  • Borden County
  • Briscoe County
  • Brown County
  • Callahan County
  • Carson County
  • Castro County
  • Childress County
  • Clay County
  • Cochran County
  • Coke County
  • Coleman County
  • Collin County
  • Collingsworth County
  • Comanche County
  • Concho County
  • Cooke County
  • Cottle County
  • Crane County
  • Crosby County
  • Dallam County
  • Dallas County
  • Dawson County
  • Deaf Smith County
  • Denton County
  • Dickens County
  • Donley County
  • Eastland County
  • Ector County
  • Ellis County
  • Erath County
  • Fannin County
  • Fisher County
  • Floyd County
  • Foard County
  • Gaines County
  • Garza County
  • Glasscock County
  • Gray County
  • Grayson County
  • Hale County
  • Hall County
  • Hansford County
  • Hardeman County
  • Hartley County
  • Haskell County
  • Hemphill County
  • Hockley County
  • Hood County
  • Howard County
  • Hunt County
  • Irion County
  • Jack County
  • Johnson County
  • Jones County
  • Kaufman County
  • Kent County
  • King County
  • Knox County
  • Lamb County
  • Lipscomb County
  • Loving County
  • Lubbock County
  • Lynn County
  • Martin County
  • McCulloch County
  • Menard County
  • Midland County
  • Mills County
  • Mitchell County
  • Montague County
  • Moore County
  • Motley County
  • Nolan County
  • Ochiltree County
  • Oldham County
  • Palo Pinto County
  • Parker County
  • Parmer County
  • Potter County
  • Randall County
  • Reagan County
  • Roberts County
  • Rockwall County
  • Runnels County
  • San Saba County
  • Schleicher County
  • Scurry County
  • Shackelford County
  • Sherman County
  • Somervell County
  • Stephens County
  • Sterling County
  • Stonewall County
  • Swisher County
  • Tarrant County
  • Taylor County
  • Terry County
  • Throckmorton County
  • Tom Green County
  • Upton County
  • Ward County
  • Wheeler County
  • Wichita County
  • Wilbarger County
  • Winkler County
  • Wise County
  • Yoakum County
  • Young County
Language(s) Spoken
  • Spanish / Español
Income Guidelines

An applicant's household income must be at 125% or below of the Federal Poverty Guidelines to be financially eligible. If an applicant’s household income is greater than 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines but less than 200%, they may be eligible depending upon other economic factors.

Assets: All applicants must meet asset eligibility guidelines. Items including but not limited to bank accounts, CD’s, stocks or bonds, secondary vehicles, and property other than the primary residence may subject to LANWT’s asset eligibility policy. Household asset eligibility is $16,000.00 or less of non-exempt assets for one person, plus $4,000.00 for every additional member of the household.

Your family's income should be at or below the following percentage of the federal poverty level
Is this organization accessible by wheelchair?
Does this organization provide access for the hearing impaired?
Eligibility Restrictions

This program does not serve: Immigrant; Prisoner

Applicants must be either United States citizens or legal aliens, with current documentation to be eligible for services. Non-citizens may be required to produce appropriate documentation. Undocumented aliens who are victims of domestic violence or human trafficking may be eligible for some services.

Lawyers must avoid conflicts of interest that arise from talking with both parties of a dispute. We will ask you for information about the person, business or agency with whom you are having a problem to identify any potential conflicts of interest. If you are applying for help on behalf of another person, we will determine whether we can speak with you or whether we need to speak directly with the person on whose behalf you are calling both to avoid conflicts and to assure that we can obtain adequate information about the client and case from you.

Type of Help

This group provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:
  • Full Legal Representation
  • Brief Advice
  • Self-Help Materials
Emergency Instructions

If you have an urgent matter please contact the local Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas office immediately and inform the receptionist that you have an urgent matter. Examples of urgent matters include but are not limited to:

Any hearing within ten (10) days if it involves family violence or the abuse or neglect of a child
Danger of wage garnishment within seven (7) days
Notice of Sale within twenty-one (21) days in a foreclosure matter
Any hearing within seven (7) days of the hearing
Homeless applicants
Imminent or actual termination of utilities
Family violence or child abuse/neglect within the past seven (7) days {including threats made with a weapon}
Improper residential lockout (or when writ of re-entry has been denied)
Served with lawsuit and deadline within ten (10) days
Sheriff's notice to vacate residential premises
Termination of benefits or medically necessary healthcare within seven (7) days

General Contact Information

Legal Aid of Northwest Texas
600 East Weatherford St. (map)
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Toll Free
Last Review and Update: Feb 02, 2015

Report problems / Provide corrections for this organization +

Submit feedback for Legal Aid of Northwest Texas